Renting property

If you decide to rent a home during your stay in Oxford, you will be asked early on by a letting agent whether you would like your property to be fully furnished (ie, with all the furniture and appliances), semi-furnished or unfurnished. Unfurnished properties will typically be cheaper than their furnished equivalents, but you will need to source your own furniture. Once you have decided on the property, you will enter into a tenancy agreement with the landlord (either directly or through a letting agent), which will set out the terms of the rental and other mutual rights and obligations between you and your landlord, including an initial deposit.

Landlords are required by UK law to check your right to rent before the tenancy begins. You will be asked to provide appropriate documents to prove your right to rent for the whole of the tenancy period. If you have a visa or settled/pre-settled status you may be asked to provide a share code.

Depending on your circumstances and the terms of your employment with the University, you may opt for a short- or long-term rental.

  • A short-term rental (or ‘short let’) is a property that is paid on a weekly or monthly basis for no longer than three months
  • A long-term rental (or ‘long let’) is a property that is rented out for more than three months and up to a year (renewable on a yearly basis, potentially with an additional administration fee)

Fraud prevention

Unfortunately there is an increasing risk of accommodation scams, particularly in areas like Oxford which have a high student population. It is strongly recommended that you rent via an accredited letting agency rather than through unregulated social media sites. Please take care before you hand over any official documents for right to rent checks, or pay any upfront fees or deposits. See the Action Fraud website for guidance on how to protect yourself from rental fraud, or the Tips for Tenants section below.

Disclaimer: Please note that the University does not endorse any of the external websites listed above, or elsewhere in this guidance.

Expand All

If you have a college affiliation, your college may be able to offer you rented accommodation, at least on a temporary basis. The Graduate Accommodation Office has some accommodation for couples and families around the city.

The University's Residential Lettings Team manage a portfolio of properties of varying sizes which may be rented by University members and the general public.

The following specialist letting agencies operate in Oxford (please note that administrative fees will be payable):

Serviced short lets (all bills included, Wi-Fi access and linen changes) are offered by:

You may be able to get a room in a private hall of residence such as the North Oxford Overseas Centre in Summertown, or Commonwealth House on Pembroke Street.

Homeshare Oxfordshire is a project run by the charity Age UK which matches older homeowners with people looking for affordable accommodation, in exchange for 10 hours a week of companionship and practical help.

The following property search engines list a range of properties available for rent through estate agents (realtors), and can be useful when beginning your search to get an idea of the local property market and typical rental prices:

Many people make their own arrangements for private rentals by using the following online property listing pages, although you should be careful to avoid scam landlords.

Rent is typically paid at the beginning of the month to cover the month ahead. As a result, at the start of your tenancy you should expect to pay:

  • the first month upfront
  • the agreed deposit (usually the equivalent of four to six weeks' rent)
  • letting agency fees (if you decide to go through this service)

Please note that letting agencies may also charge tenants fees for specific services, such as credit checks, references and administration. However, they are not allowed to charge you for simply registering with them or for showing you lists of properties available for rent.

  • Familiarise yourself with tenants’ rights in the UK
  • Make sure your landlord is registered with a government-backed Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme and that your deposit is paid into one of the available schemes. Your deposit will be returned at the end of the tenancy, minus any deductions for breakages or damage (see the tips below to avoid disputes about the state of the property and its contents)
  • Sign your tenancy agreement before you move into the property
  • Confirm that you understand and agree fully with the terms before signing the tenancy agreement (do not sign the tenancy agreement if you do not fully agree with its terms or if you do not fully understand it - ask for it to be clarified or changed)
  • Check the inventory for the property thoroughly before moving in. If your landlord does not provide an inventory it is advisable that you make one yourself and send a copy to the landlord
  • Check, note and photograph any existing damage to the furniture and/or property

Guidance for tenants in private housing can be found on the Oxford City Council website or from Citizens Advice, whose local branch will be happy to assist you in person or on the phone. Oxford University Student's Union (Oxford SU) has produced advice and useful resources on living out in private accommodation.