The University has set an ambitious target to reduce its peak carbon emissions by 50% by 2030. You can get involved through the Green Impact engagement programme in your college or department, or visit the Sustainability website for advice on food and travel options, biodiversity, and recycling.
Sourcing second-hand items can be a great way to save money, reduce your carbon footprint, and make new friends along the way.
- SHARE Oxford, based at Makespace in Jericho, run a Library of Things, repair cafes and workshops, and clothing swap events
- Websites such as Freegle offer free used items, or check out for sale/wanted lists on social media
- 'Nearly new' sales can be a good source of children's clothes (particularly school uniform), toys and accessories
- Some local charities offer collection of large items of furniture which are then offered for sale in their shops
- Register with WARPit (Waste Action Reuse Portal) to offer and request surplus items in your University workplace such as office furniture and supplies, including laboratory equipment [NB this service is provided by the University and may not be used for personal items]