The University has set ambitious targets in its Environmental Sustainability Strategy to achieve net zero carbon and net biodiversity gain by 2035. You can get involved through the Green Impact engagement programme in your college or department. Visit the Sustainability website for advice on food and travel options, biodiversity, and recycling, or follow the Sustainability Team on social media (@OxfordEnvSust) for the latest news and events.
Sourcing second-hand items can be a great way to save money, reduce your carbon footprint, and make new friends along the way.
- SHARE Oxford, based at Makespace in Jericho, run a Library of Things, repair cafes and workshops, and clothing swap events
- Websites such as Freegle offer free used items, or check out for sale/wanted lists on social media
- 'Nearly new' sales can be a good source of children's clothes (particularly school uniform), toys and accessories
- Some local charities offer collection of large items of furniture which are then offered for sale in their shops
- Register with WARPit (Waste Action Reuse Portal) to offer and request surplus items in your University workplace such as office furniture and supplies, including laboratory equipment [NB this service is provided by the University and may not be used for personal items]